Let Us Handle A Confusing Process For You
If you have been named an executor of another person’s estate, you have been given the responsibility of carrying out that person’s final wishes. There are few higher honors. At the same time, there are also certain obligations and liabilities.
At Fuller & Quigg, our lawyer advises executors and administrators of estates, as well as people who have been named trustees and guardians. We serve clients in Decatur and throughout Central Illinois. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Supervised probate and probate litigation: In addition to representing executors and administrators, our lawyer represents beneficiaries who want to have an attorney supervise the probate process to protect their interests. We also handle probate litigation such as will contests.
What Is Probate?
Illinois probate can be a relatively simple and straightforward process. However, it can become complex and contentious, especially in blended families or when there are significant assets such as a family business.
The first step consists of submitting the deceased person’s will to the probate court for approval. If the person died without a will, then Illinois’ law of intestate succession will determine who will receive the property of the deceased.
Our lawyer can advise you through every step of the probate process, including:
- Completing an inventory of the deceased person’s assets
- Publishing legal notice of the probate proceeding so that creditors can submit claims against the estate
- Paying legitimate bills owed by the deceased person’s estate
- Assisting with the sale of real estate and other property
- Distributing assets to beneficiaries
- Completing and filing final income tax and estate tax returns
- Completing a final accounting of the estate and submitting it to the probate court
Not all assets need to go through probate. Life insurance benefits, assets held in stock accounts with a beneficiary designation, and assets held in trusts can be distributed directly to the beneficiaries.
Will Contest Attorney Serving Decatur And Central Illinois
Call 217-619-0097 (or 866-375-6472 toll free) to discuss your case with an experienced Decatur probate attorney. We are located on the north side of Decatur with convenient parking. Evening and weekend appointments are available.